Thursday 13 April 2017

Some mischievous visitors!

Life in India is always interesting, probably because it is so different from the UK!  In the UK we do not have peacocks wandering around or making a cat call every night as they settle down for the evening, we do not have parrots flying over us each day (unless your in a certain area of London!),  we do not have cows wandering freely everywhere, or elephants running red lights or camels pulling carts to work.  Nor do we have cheeky monkeys that break in to your house because you forget to close the gate and steal your bananas!

I first came across this group of monkeys when at 6am one morning, which is never a good time for Dannie, my friend and I were awoken by a loud banging noise outside.  I went out first to investigate and found a little monkey swinging on my neighbours metal ladder attached to the house and getting great fun out of making such a loud racket!  There were about nine monkeys.  One had clearly stolen a top from somewhere and decided it would be great fun to put the top over his head, but not fully down so he couldn't see and then put his arms through and run around like a little ghost.  He seemed to love doing this!








I watched them for a while and then headed in to tell my friend who had also been woken by the noise.  As she came to investigate they decided they would come check out my terrace. So next thing we knew there were three monkeys on our terrace, reminding me that it was their terrace and for me to back off!  How nice!




The next morning they decided to be our wake up call again but decided to start a little earlier at 5.30am....I was not impressed!

However this particular group of monkeys really proved they lived up to their name when one afternoon whilst sat in my lounge, I wander towards the kitchen and see the back of an animal.  It was a lovely grey blue colour and my first natural reaction was, it was a cat!  Then I realised no, not a cat, a monkey!  Three monkeys to be precise and they were all trying to steal my big bunch of bananas that I had left on the kitchen top!  There was no way I was going to lose the bananas I had just bought, so I went charging at them......then realised they could bite so I ran the over way!  They slightly chased me and were hissing at me whilst I shouted back at them from the comfort of the half closed door!  They had each got a banana and were going back for more, which is when I figured I would chuck the cushion at them.  Fortunately this worked and they scarpered, they each only had one banana and one dropped half of his!








After they left I locked the screen door, which is what I should have done in the first place!  A few moments later I hear a crying sound and it is the monkey back and crying for his other half of the banana he dropped.  So like a fool I am.....I felt sorry for him and chucked the other half out!




Having your bananas stolen by monkeys is not your every day UK experience and although I was down a few bananas for my oat cakes it was a funny experience!  These monkeys probably frequent my terrace once a week that I know of, sometimes I can just hear them outside calling.

Today as I walked home from work, down our very quiet residential street i came across a man with his camel and cart, just plodding along as you do.  The novelty doesn't seem to wear off......


No comments:

Post a Comment